Friday, November 30, 2007

The dreaded call...

Apparently today was not a good day to try and get my hair done. Thad was home this morning as he is working the closing shift and so I thought I would take advantage and get my hair done. I was in desperate need of a cut and some new color. If I had known how the rest of my day was going to go I probably would have stayed home.

While I was getting my hair done my cell phone battery died so no one could get a hold of me. Not a big deal until someone needs to get a hold of me...like in an EMERGENCY!!! Yep, Mason's school was trying to get a hold of me to come get him as he was hurt on the playground and in a great deal of pain. Thad happened to get the message before he left to take the kids to Kendra's house so he stopped off at the school and picked up Mason on his way.

So, I got done at the salon and stopped to get gas at Costco before switching cars with Thad. When I got in the van I looked behind the driver's seat to see Mason's coat and backpack. I immediately knew something was wrong and plugged my phone into the car charger. There were 2 messages left on my phone. So as I listened to a message left by Thad's mom, who also received a call from the school because they couldn't get a hold of Thad or I, I realized something was seriously wrong. I started to get that sinking feeling and immediately ran into Thad's store to talk with him and find out what happened and where Mason was.

I found out Mason had fallen off the slide at school and hurt his left shoulder. Thad told me he couldn't lift it above his head but seemed to be feeling better when they got to Kendra's. So I drove over to Kendra's and immediately looked at his arm. There wasn't any visible deformity but Mason couldn't reach his arm above his head without crying. I gathered the kids and their stuff and drove home. I called the Drs office and they wanted to see him right away. So I got the kids back in the car and drove to the Drs office. While waiting in the exam room for the Dr, I took another look at Mason's shoulder and compared it to the other arm. Now there was a visible bump on the left shoulder/collar bone area. That couldn't mean anything good.

The Dr came in and looked at his arm and after some careful prodding and questioning she decided it was most likely a broken collarbone. So she put Mason in a sling, gave us a prescription for pain medication and sent us to the hospital for an x-ray. One hour later we were told he did indeed fracture his collarbone and will be wearing a sling for 4 weeks. The good news...it was only his collarbone and nothing else. Mason told the Dr he fell off the middle of the slide onto his head and shoulder. So it could have been a lot worse.

I think it's going to be a tough adjustment for him to not use that arm so much and to take it easy, especially at school. So now I get the wonderful position of writing to the school and discussing playground safety as this could have been prevented. Mason fell off the slide because there was more than one child going down the slide at a time. He went down with several other children still on the slide and bumped into them and may have bumped himself right off the slide. Not having been there I'm sure I'll never know what truly happened.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I hope he's doing alright today and is adjusting well to not using that arm. Get well soon, Mason!

Jodi Loveland said...

At least he did it at school. Brian broke his arm last summer and if you ask him how it happend he will tell you, "Mommy did it!!" Wonderful huh! I didn't do it on purpose, he crawled under my feet and tripped me and I fell on top of him. I was also carrying Andrew when it happened. So the added weight of both of us was just too much for his little arm. But he is fine now. Thats the great thing about kids, they are very resiliant.
My cellphone never rings unless I don't have it with me or it has a dead battery too. Murphy's law I guess!
Hope he gets better soon!