Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Another one bites the dust!

Yes, that is right, I have successfully ushered another hamster into heaven. This morning I was sitting at my desk checking my email when Thad comes into the office and looks at the hamster cage. He says, "Um, a hamster sleeping out in the open can't be a good sign." So I of course sighed, and asked him to tap on the glass. No response of course. Anyone who has raised any sort of nocturnal rodent knows they sleep all covered up in something. So sure enough the hamster had run out of food and water. I'm not sure that's what killed her, but I'm sure it didn't help. On my behalf, I have to say taking care of all the pets (2 cats, 2 fish, 1 hamster), watering the plants, cleaning the house, working, taking care of 3 kids and a husband, paying the bills, and being pregnant among all the other tasks I do, something is bound to slip my mind! I know I just cleaned her cage last week and gave her fresh water and food at that time so at least I can feel somewhat at peace about not being too neglectful. And, we've had her for about a year, and hamsters don't have a very long life cycle so who's to say it wasn't her time to go? Needless to say I don't think we'll be getting any new pets for a while. I think a new baby will be time consuming enough and if no one really wants to take care of the pets, then why do we have them?!

1 comment:

Trent-n-Lynne said...

Praying for you as you have that baby girl! How exciting! Blessings!