Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Poor boy!

Mason woke up Monday morning with a croupy cough. He is the only one out of my kids to actually have had croup. Since that time when he was 21 months old he seems to be more susceptible to it. So I didn't think too much of the cough. He was breathing fine and he said he felt ok and wanted to go to school. So off he went with strict instructions to tell his teacher if he wasn't feeling well. He came home at his normal time that afternoon and seemed a bit more tired. By 5:00 that night he had a fever.

He has had a fever for 3 days now and it doesn't seem to be letting up. Just when I think he's getting better, wham the fever is back. He has missed the last 2 days of school for this. His cough isn't worse but it doesn't seem to be improving either. He doesn't complain of pain anywhere, so why in the world does he still have a fever? Today he woke up with fever but the rest of the day he sat at 98.9. Well tonight he's back up to 101.6.

I know fever isn't a bad thing. I am a nurse afterall and have dealt with fever too many times to count. But fever for an extended period of time is not a good thing and usually indicates a bacterial infection somewhere. I spoke with his Drs office this morning to find out when they would like to see him...they don't want to see him for the fever until Monday! I'm thinking if he still has this fever on Friday I am taking him to the Dr! I am not waiting until Monday, especially if he's missing 4 days of school. And apparently very important days as they are testing for the IRIs. Ugh! I know he feels miserable and there is nothing more that I can do other than push fluids, encourage rest, and use the humidifier. Please pray he feels better tomorrow and can finally go back to school. He misses his friends!

No comments: