Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Big Scare

So I know this is a little late but I wanted to get it posted before I forgot.

On Thursday, March 20, I was doing a Scentsy Party so I left Thad at home with the kids. Thad had let the kids go outside and play in the backyard because the weather was nice for once and the kids were restless. So during their playtime Thad received a call from a young man in our ward that needed some help with his trumpet playing. Thad invited him over. When this young man got to our house Thad went inside leaving Makai in the backyard with the other children. He knew he would only be gone a few seconds to answer the door.

Well, some of you know that we have gone to great lengths to make our backyard a little sanctuary with lots of vegetation and a cute little fountain/pond. Well as Makai's curiosity got the best of him it only took that few seconds that Thad was gone to go exploring the fountain. Yep you guessed it he slipped and fell right in. From inside Thad heard Mason and Malia calling "Daddy, daddy!" Makai was drenched from head to foot. Thanks to Mason's quick thinking and action, he immediately grabbed Makai by the arm and pulled him out without falling in himself.

As you can imagine everyone was very scared and yet grateful that nothing worse had happened. Thad of course felt horrible and I'm sure will never leave Makai alone in the backyard until he's 18. We haven't decided yet how to make our backyard safer so that something like this doesn't happen again. We might just leave the fountain empty this season but then it would still fill up with rain water and water from the sprinklers. We can only hope that Makai has learned his lesson and will steer clear of the fountain.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Scary. I'm so glad nothing worse happened. I would feel horrible if that happened on my watch. Poor Thad, I'm sure he's miserable. It happens, but you just don't want it to happen to you. Way to go Mason!

The Gould Family said...

Yay for Mason!! What a little hero! This story brings back bad memories of Ryley falling in my parents pool, TWICE! So I know it was just a fountain and he's safe but it still made me emotional just reading it. I'm so glad that Makai is okay!

Ashby said...

Poor Makai! Poor Thad! That has to be so nerve wracking! Glad everything turned out okay!

Amanda said...

How scary! I'm glad Makai's OK. Can you put a little decorative fence around the pond?