Thursday, January 3, 2008

No More!

Well, Malia had her annual eye exam yesterday and she did really well. Unfortunately having been going to the Pediatric Opthamologist since she was 12 months old she is very well versed in what occurs at the eye Dr's. Mainly the dilation of her eyes. Now if you have ever had an eye exam where they had to dilate your eyes, then you know how much those drops sting. As we were sitting in the exam room waiting for the Dr, Malia looks over at the counter and says, "I don't like eye drops." Then of course when the Dr came in she was cooperative enough to lay back in my arms but that's as far as she went. She closed her eyes as hard as could...the Dr was very good at getting them open regardless of Malia's effort to keep them closed...and she screamed and cried.

To cheer her up after that traumatic experience and to wait while her eyes dilated, we went to look at some new frames for her. She enjoyed that experience very much and picked out some pretty purple frames (her favorite color). That's where she started acting like a "big" girl. She was in control when she picked out the frames she wanted.

So this "big" girl attitude carried over to the rest of her eye exam. As the Dr's assistant called us back into the exam room to finish, Malia climbed into the chair all by herself and very seriously looked at the assistant and stated, "I don't need anymore eye drops." The assistant and I laughed at how serious she was...she was taking charge of her care and she was not having anymore of that. It was very cute and funny. I wonder how she will be next year at this time when she returns to see the Opthamologist yet again.

And by the way...her vision is only a little bit worse with a slight astigmatism. So no major concerns as long as she wears her glasses. I will post a picture of her in her new glasses when they come in!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Poor girl, who can blame her it's not fun. I can't wait to see her cute new glasses.

Ashby said...

Poor thing. What a big girl she was. I can't wait to see her new purple frames. She'll have to wear them with her matching purple bows....wink wink!

The Gould Family said...

she is so cute and funny! poor baby girl though needed to go through that, I've never had an eye exam like that but I can imagine it isn't fun for adults much less a little girl! poor thing. can't wait to see her new glasses!